Starting to drive
To be able to have your first driving lesson and to take your theory test you need to obtain a provisional driving license.
You can apply for your licence up to 3 months before your 17th birthday, but it will not be valid untill you are 17.
You can apply for the provisional driving licence by filling application form D1 which is availabele from the local Post Office.,
You can also apply for your first British provisional driving licence online at www.gov.uk if you:
- Are a resident of Great Britain
- Meet the minimum age requirement
- Can meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- Are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
- Can pay by Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, Electron, Delta or Solo debit or credit card
- Have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
- Can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years
As a photo is required for your licence the DVLA can use your passport photo if you have one. If you don’t have one, or you want to use a different one, this will need to be sent to the DVLA separately.
The price of the licence is £50